What is Compounding?
Compounding is the art and science of preparing custom medications from raw ingredients, pursuant to a physician’s prescription. Years ago, before mass pharmaceutical medicine production, apothecaries and pharmacists compounded medications “from scratch” to meet each patient’s specific needs.
Uptown Pharmacy has a state-of-the-art compounding lab, where our team of trained compounding professionals adhere to high standards for quality assurance. We can prepare a variety of personalized medications using the highest quality ingredients. Working closely in a “triad” of patient, prescriber, and pharmacist, we can provide solutions to problems our patients may have taking commercial drugs.
- Prepare medications in dosage forms that are not commercially available, such as transdermal gels and creams, troches, chewables, and lollipops
- Combine several medications into one formulation
- Prepare medications free of allergy-causing ingredients such as dyes, gluten, sugar, lactose, or alcohol
- Prepare medications that are no longer commercially available
- Provide alternative doses and forms than what is produced by manufacturers
- Prepare flavored medications for children and pets to mask a bitter or unpleasant taste
Contact us to discuss your specific needs. We are committed to safety and create each compound to meet the strict guidelines of USP 795.